Re: [GNUnet-developers] Moral rights: credits

From: t3sserakt
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Moral rights: credits
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 07:50:05 +0200

On 07.10.2019 20:29, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
I do not have a strong opinion either way, but I find the argument not
convincing.
I strongly believe that a part of the source/component has probably been
written and is maintained by a very limited number of people. Occasionally
somebody might "adopt" this but at that point this person quite clearly
has the agency and responsibility to do add a new @authors line.

Somebody adding an occasional patch is of course also the author of that
particular change, but the authors info is more than credit to the
copyright/code, it is also an indication who is most likely knowledgeable
about that part, e.g. if somebody wants to use it or improve/fix it or just
understand it.

Hence, from the point of view of credit/copyright I do not really care.
But as a general indicator who wrote that part (esp. in GNUnet: that component)
I find it useful.

I agree with Martin, but there are still problems we need to address. What about those authors who wrote most of the code, but aren't available for questions any more. What about people who aren't authors of code, but despite that know much about the code. Maybe we shouldn't call those persons being knowledgeable authors, but somehow different.

Cheers

t3sseraktĀ

BR