Re: [GNUnet-developers] arm service status

From: Florian Dold
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] arm service status
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 18:34:12 +0200

I've implemented the extended gnunet-arm output in 6aa35f62a8005 and
d07beeb5398.

We now get the following as output, and the API gives out the the
structured data, instead of just a formatted string:

nat (binary='gnunet-service-nat', status=stopped)
set (binary='gnunet-service-set', status=started)
core (binary='gnunet-service-core', status=failed,
      exit_status=6, restart_delay='10 s')

The stopped services are omitted unless you run gnunet-arm with the
-a/--all flag.

Maybe the "service life-cycle" / state machine should be reviewed a bit.
 We now have these states:

1. stopped (=successfully manually stopped or never started)
2. started
3. stopping (=stop requested, either directly or through ARM shutdown,
but service process still lives)
4. failed (and waiting to be restarted)
5. finished (= exited with exit status code 0)

It's now also trivial to add more status information (e.g. number of
retries, when the service was started, the full command line), should
that ever be required.

The monitoring API still uses the old (IMHO insufficient) states.  Maybe
we should merge those two by using the states I've listed above.
However, the monitoring status has the additional "monitoring started"
status, so that's a big ugly.

Note that with the GNUnet process management wrappers, it seems like we
can't distinguish between a process that exited with an error status
code and a process that couldn't be started in the first place (since
the binary doesn't exist).  But that's not really that bad.

- Florian