Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 20:00:33 +0200

On 4/30/19 2:08 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> everytime I show somebody how to start gnunet, the behaviour of gnunet-arm
> seems to be a major pain point because it exhibits two behaviours which,
> combined, are quite odd.
> Those two are:
>
> 1. gnunet-arm -s does not hang but return the user to the terminal
> 2. Logging by default is in that same terminal
>
> (2) basically defeats all advantages (1) would give the user.
> Can we either change (1) or (2) in order to make it more consistent with
> other tools?

I'd be happy to see (2) change, but somehow I thought that in the
systemd age logging to stderr was the 'consistent' thing to do (having
systemd then manage logging).

Anyway, maybe we should log to stderr as any gnunet-service (and expect
systemd to launch gnunet via gnunet-service-arm instead of gnunet-arm!)
and have the command-line tool gnunet-arm redirect logging to a file.
I think that would indeed make the most sense (but I'm not sure if that
is "consistent with other tools", given that you left "other" rather
wide open).

> So either have gnunet-arm -s hang and on Ctrl-C it also implicity behaves
> like gnunet-arm -e
> OR

Definitively not this one. If you want that, run gnunet-service-arm
directly.

> By default, log into a file, maybe even have a gnunet-log or gnuent-arm
> --logs in the future.

Eh, you are aware of the "-l FILE" option of gnunet-arm? I wouldn't mind
having a configuration setting that by default logs to some log file,
see arm.conf:18 for an example. Maybe we should have a separate option
just for gnunet-arm, so it works _only_ for gnunet-arm and without
requiring the user to pass -l explicitly every time?