Re: [GNUnet-developers] Coding style clang-format

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Coding style clang-format
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 13:39:55 +0200

> On 15. Apr 2019, at 10:53, Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Am 15.04.19 um 10:02 schrieb Schanzenbach, Martin:
>> FYI I added a clang-format at "contrib/conf/editors/clang-format".
>
> I'm curious about this, since the development guide says: "We follow the
> GNU Coding Standards (see The GNU Coding Standards
> <https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Top> in The GNU
> Coding Standards).
>
> Beside this: If you switch to clang coding style, please adjust
> .dir-locals.el to pull in the correct settings and make sure this is
> available in all of our repos. See
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnunet-developers/2019-03/msg00055.html
>
> Also I'm curious about you adding this to the code first and then
> discussion the topic. If we decide *not* to change the coding style, we
> will have dead artifacts trashing all developers repos for years.

The clang-format tool tries to make your life easier just like the
.dir-locals.el.
It has nothing to do with the clang (you probably mean llvm) coding style. It
is a code formatting tool.
I am not trying to get everyone to use clang-format, but the .dir-locals.el is
only usable for emacs users, whereas clang-format theoretically is cross-editor.
We should just try to keep the .dir-locals file and the other format
definitions in sync so that we do not constantly have changes in the sources
only relating to formatting.
Anyone can still use/update the emacs-specific .dir-locals file.
The editor-specific configs are in contrib/conf/editors.