Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab fo

From: Devan C. - dvn
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab for Git, CI, and Issues
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:26:09 -0700

Florian Dold transcribed 2.3K bytes:
> On 4/10/19 1:10 AM, Raphael Arias wrote:
> > I don't see why the database of a read-only legacy system would need to
> > be regularly backed up. If it remains online purely as an archive
> > (possibly with a note to go see the gitlab issue tracker) history is
> > preserved while not forcing anyone to do regular backups. Am I missing
> > something? If Mantis cannot be run as readonly, maybe an archived
> > version of it [0]?
>
> We're moving servers right now, so we do need to back up and restore the
> database.  In case of some hardware failure or accidental deletion, we
> don't want to lose the archive.

Raphael is saying, that once Mantis is archived, why would it need to be
_regularly_ backed up. It wouldn't. Once it is archived, then we make a
backup, and we don't need to make any more.

> I'm really confused by the assertion that it's so difficult to migrate
> Mantis to GitLab.  It might take 1-2 days of work, but in the end it's
> just migrating from one SQL schema to the other (and in Mantis' case,
> converting structured data into text).
>
> Admittedly Mantis' schema isn't pretty
> (https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt/blob/master/admin/schema.php), but
> I don't see any fundamental difficulties here at all.

Can you help with this?

[...]
> > I have a minor doubt regarding wording: is everyone aware that there are
> > *pull requests* and *merge requests* in gitlab?
>
> They're exactly the same [1], at least according to GitLab ;-)

True, but the distinction between forking and doing a merge/pull request
from another repo, and doing a merge request from a branch on the same
repo is an important distiction to make.