Re: [GNUnet-developers] mob branch (Re: Updating my git work-in-progess

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] mob branch (Re: Updating my git work-in-progess branch?)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 20:21:13 +0100

On 3/16/19 2:34 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Would anyone else involved in the decision and administration process
> be okay with a branch where anyone could push to?
> My idea is like this, at least the general principle of it:
> https://repo.or.cz/mob.html
> Since we require the CAA we could then pick patches from
> this branch and merge them into the official branch.
>
> Iff we change to Gitlab I'm not sure if this would still be possible
> or even necessary.
>
> My idea is that instead of "send a patch" we have another
> option for people to send patches - send to a remote we
> can pick a patch from.
>
> As git admin my vote would be on yes, trying it. But I don't want
> to make decisions without further feedback by other people
> involved in that group.

In principle, I like the idea.

However, I'm afraid the lawyers won't. Without a reasonably consistent
application of the CA policy, it is likely that we'll get into trouble
with some lawyer at some point.  And obviously a mob branch from which
patches _never_ get merged for lack of CA is not so useful.

So I'd rather keep the barrier to Git write access very low -- filing
out the CA form is not really asking that much I hope.  But again, this
is me wearing purely the "legal" hat. If I could first change global
copyright laws to my liking, my opinion on this would be very different ;-p