Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updating my git work-in-progess branch?

From: Corvus Corax
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updating my git work-in-progess branch?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:06:14 +0100

If I may add a suggestion.

On some other projects I worked on, we used relatively strict
namespacing rules. Branches pushed to the repo should have the name

<developername>/<branchname> (with further subdirectories possible
depending on whatever the developer considered apropriate. often in the
form of
<developername>/ISSUE-<number>-<branch-description>
but that wasn't enforced

that way, even though we had hundreds of branches, it was still
relatively easy to look at the relevant ones and find one's own.

Only maintainers had the ability to merge into "master" or
"next" ("master" was always frozen between releases, so we merged into
"next" for new features to be tested until the next release cycle,
while developers would regularly merge "next" back into their dev
branches or rebase into a new branch to stay up to date)

only "master" and "next" were specially protected by gitolite, while
developers were allowed to force-push to branches within their own
namespace, but we also had roughly-yearly git cleanup rounds where
every developer had to name the branches they were still using or
working on, and old stuff was removed

branches were code reviewed before merging them to "next", not unlike
pull requests on github. only release-maintainers could push to master,
while next was more open, but never allowed force-pushes.

cheers

CorvusCorax