Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet 0.11.0 released

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet 0.11.0 released
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:31:24 +0100

On 2/28/19 5:44 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Christian Grothoff transcribed 3.1K bytes:
>> I don't have any GSoC project on the radar that would break 0.11
>> compatibility, so GSoC should happen on both master (we want it
>> long-term) and --if necessary-- merged into the 0.11.x branch (for
>> timely releases).
>>
>> On 2/28/19 4:28 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
>>> Okay. I am asking because 0.12 is scheduled for 04/2020 for now. But GSoC
>>> ends a lot earlier and it might make sense to release 0.12 after that.
>>> If not, GSoC might need to happen in the 0.11.x branch.
>>

> So does this mean we're working with branches now?
> Can you send an update or communicate somehow
> what you want to change in the process besides
> still committing to master?

Ok, so the high-level plan is this:

* All main development (towards 0.12.x) continues on master.

* Developers can continue to develop features in their own feature
  branches, but are encouraged to frequently merge into master (as
  long as they don't break the build)

* 0.11.x releases *must* be protocol-compatible to 0.11.0. So once
  master is NOT protocol-compatible to 0.11.0, development for 0.11.x
  must continue in an 0.11-branch where we only cherry-pick those
  changes from master that preserve protocol-compatibility.

(I originally considered immediately creating the 0.11-branch, but
given that there will _likely_ be months of development _without_
breaking compatibility still, I figured this could wait. But if
someone wants to start the branch off from the 0.11 tag now, I won't
object either.)

And yeah, we should probably document this somewhere ;-).