Re: [GNUnet-developers] file sharing

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] file sharing
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 10:52:54 +0100

Christian

thanks for clarifying, I appreciate that

just a few notes from me

Il giorno gio 7 feb 2019 alle ore 09:21 Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On 2/6/19 11:38 AM, Catonano wrote:
> I managed to share a file with a friend of mine through Gnunet
>
> In both directions: he downloaded a file I had shared (as some of you
> have done too) AND I have downloaded a file that he had shared
>
> So now I have a few questions about the Gnunet file sharing system
>
> How does it work ?
>
> Do I need to "seed" it as I would do with bittorrent in order to keep it
> available ?

Not strictly speaking. Peers may cache the file and keep it available
even if you are offline. But there is no guarantee that they will keep
it available, and a yet to be fixed design flaw (IMO) is that they may
keep some parts available but not the entire file, resulting in the
possibility of failed downloads.

> Or, can I go off line and it will still be fetchable by people ?

Yes, for a while.

Yes, I read the handbook a little bit about file sharing

The system spreads the chunks of the files as it sees fit

So people accessing my blog would be an element for the system to spread the chunks of my blog a bit more, I see

> Currently i am hosting my personal blog on DAT but I'm not happy with it
> for some reasons
>
> I'm thinking about hosting it on Gnunet.
>
> Is that advisable ?
> Is there any specific notion I should keep in mind in doing so ?

For a blog, I would probably use the VPN/Exit hosting, not file-sharing.
For that, you need to run the 'exit' service and configure a TCP exit to
your Webserver (running on loopback) and then use a GNS name with a VPN
record. With that, anyone who has your GNS name and configured the VPN
can access your blog via their browser, similar to an eepsite (i2p) or a
Tor hidden service.  Note that due to stylography, blogs are virtually
never anonymous.

My blog is not anonymous, so no problem with me.
Maybe some readers would prefer to be anonymous

> I am tempted by the idea off hosting web content without paying any
> hoster and without paying for a domain name

Not paying for a domain name == GNU Name System (GNS) is what you want.

Good

And self-hosting again is best done with the VPN.

> Hosting my stufff with resources I already have, my laptop and a quite
> decent adsl connection

Note that the GNUnet-VPN case, your site will only be available when you
are online, that's the one thing that is likely to be not quite what you
want here.  In the future, I want to see a better integration of FS with
GNS, so you can point GNS domain names to FS URIs. If we combine that
with a gnunet-gns-proxy that understands this, it would solve your
problem perfectly (available while offline & GNS). But sadly, we are not
there today.

So, for now instead of spreading a domain name for my blog, I should spread the key, or the uri to retrieve it, right ?

That could be a reasonable compromise

I don't want to be always on line as I don't want other people be required to be always on line

As a side note: as far as I understand, Christopher Lemmer Webber is working on an extension of the Activity Pub protocol to make contents available in a p2p fashion

I wonder if it could be worth to exchange notes with him