Re: [GNUnet-developers] EcDSA signature scheme

From: hyazinthe
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] EcDSA signature scheme
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 11:00:50 +0200

*Disclaimer: I'm not skillful in cryptography. I hope you can tolerate random
input with intention to help GNUnet crypto in general. I hope that the input is
helpful in any case and sorry if the input is not helpful in any case. More
eyes see more. Sometimes also including the unskillful ones.*

When it comes to double application/hashing after the 1st round of it one
should do "Xor" or in other words 'push down a bit/swap a bit/change a bit'

Nonce always have to be different and in being so unique - without any
exception.

What crypto in general to use:
1. MRAE - (nonce)-misuse-resistant-authenticated-encryption:
Especially RIV - Robust Initialization Vector -
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305421597_RIV_for_Robust_Authenticated_Encryption
otherwise SIV - Synthetic Initialization Vector
But the downside of it is that it's slow/effortful, because it has to go over
cleat text for 2 times
So, this crypto is not suitable for realtime applications/streaming
But it's the most secure crypto.
2. Robust authenticated encryption:
If one is dealing with realtime applications/streaming, one should go down one
step
from MRAE to this Robust authenticated encryption.
Especially POET is a good choice, that's the successor generation of McOE-G.
Otherwise McOE-G or maybe COLM is a good pick.
That's the 2nd most secure crypto.

But in times of quantum computers - by 2018 NSA could have a decent one - it's
probably better to increasingly consider Post-Quantum Cryptography (PQCrypto),
because then ECDSA and ECDH are also no longer secure anymore.
I found this page to be useful for overview:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/PQCrypto .
For more details this page is very good: https://pqcrypto.org/
Did you know that the TOR project planned to migrate to quantum resistant
ciphers by version 0.2.9.x (
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17286 +
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24985 ) ? But my impression is,
that they've done the fatal mistake to postpone this to a far, far, undefined
point in the future.

Greetings,
Bastian Schmidt