Re: [GNUnet-developers] documentation: Rewriting the Installation Handbo

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] documentation: Rewriting the Installation Handbook with a focus on simplicity and coverage
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 11:17:55 +0200

TL;DR: There are no working binaries because there are not current/regular
releases. The handbook should not claim what we cannot deliver. There are
temporary mitigations, however, such as docker images that we could provide
with 0 overhead given modern CI. Finally, compiling from source is for devs
only and they should know what they are doing.

Long version:
The reason why docker is a good choice is because of our "release strategy".
GNUnet has not seen a release in ages.
The current "binaries" (deb, rpm?) are too old to be used.
So if user A comes to irc and asks "hey, how to I get the most recent, working
version?" the answer is:

1. Don't use the binary packages (sic!)
2. Compile and install from git

The latter requires a lot of knowledge and takes time and effort. And then you
only have it installed along with a huge amount of dev dependencies the
software does not even need to run!
Imagine user A comes to irc and asks the same question.
The answer could be: "No release, yet. You could use a docker image for the
current upstream though. Then you just need to run $ docker run gnunet:latest".
(And this answer works regardless of OS)

Again, this is a result from our lack of releases. But thanks to things like
docker, we could still deliver nightly precompiled images.

The handbook should reflect this:

1. The easy way (for users, docker image)
2. The hard way (for devs, from source)
3. The future way (binary packages/installer) (WIP!)

Eventually this could be changed into:

1. I just want to use it (binary packages/installer)
2. I want to develop! (from source)
3. Optional: Use docker image to run GNUnet without installing