Re: [GNUnet-developers] Goodbye ".gnu"

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Goodbye ".gnu"
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 18:42:29 +0100

On 03/05/2018 05:14 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need two clarifications as this change basically broke everything ;)

"everything"!? :-(

> 1. API:
> The GNS_lookup API call takes a zone to look up in. Previously tools looked
> up the "gns-master" for a sane default value.
> This is no longer needed I guess??
> If yes, we should remove it.

It is needed, because the API allows a _personalized_ lookup.
When I have a multi-user system, the gnunet-service-gns runs as
"gnunet", while the client runs as some other user.  The idea is that
this other user may have the .TLD=PKEY configuration file options or the
identities, which determine the zone.  So the client should first
determine the zone based on the TLD (and determine whether GNS should be
used in the first place), and then trigger the lookup for what remains
of the name.

That said, I do intend to add a convenience API where libgnunetgns
determines the zone based on the TLD.

> 2. Proxy:
> The proxy still uses gns-master for lookups. Now the question is if the
> application calling lookup should handle the TLD or of the resolver takes
> case of that automagically.  From your change in the CLI tool I assume the
> former?

I've not yet finished (or started) work on the proxy. I guess I should
finish the convenience API first, as that will be helpful for the proxy
as well.

Happy hacking!