Re: [GNUnet-developers] logo rework + software ethics

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] logo rework + software ethics
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 17:23:48 +0100

Martin, excellent: a CADET logo!  :D

This guix-derived logo is amazing. For the print version
it's enough to remove the backlight effect, so no big deal.
So from my understanding of logo design this thing is compliant.

Krumelmonster's are also very neat, but I perceive
the gnu as too prominent - I prefer the subtleness of
the illuminated gnu star system in the networked sky.
Also, the printable b/w version ends up looking very
differently from the colorful icon one.

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 03:16:46PM +0100, Krumelmonster wrote:
> I read the icon design article and felt like seeing how a gnu fit into
> the more common internet metaphor of 'movement around a sphere' and the
> also popular network-graph thingy.

I don't think logo design has a lot in common with icon design...

> By the way, regarding that intro text you proposed, I have strong doubts
> as to whether software itself can be ethical. Users can be. Or
> developers. I'd assume moral conduct to be limited to individuals.

Is Technology neutral? A question that goes back to Dürrenmatts
"Die Physiker". Just yesterday I heard somebody answer that
question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74amJRp730

If code is law, how can code be neutral?
Law is either ethical or unethical, so is code.
An elaboration on "code is law" and how society
could go about it pragmatically to make sure that
software implements the ethics we want:
    http://my.pages.de/softwaredemocracy#2

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/