Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-guile reboot & guix

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-guile reboot & guix
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:20:29 +0100

On 01/12/2018 10:23 PM, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
> I think I need to know what's the plan/design for gnunet/guix
> integration to continue.

Well, the original plan was to eventually distribute (signed) Guix
binary packages over GNUnet. Guix can download binary packages from
various sources, so GNUnet would just be another source. The tricky bit
is to create a binding between the GNUnet URL and the Guix package. This
could be done by anyone creating the binary package signing the
association (assuming perfect deterministic builds).  Also, the idea was
that everybody shares all the binaries they built from source (or
installed), as that takes no significant extra storage.

But, realistically speaking, before that can happen, we need to improve
GNUnet performance, which isn't really an issue for bindings.