Re: [GNUnet-developers] Troubleshooting CADET

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Troubleshooting CADET
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:51:46 +0200

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 05:42:45PM +0200, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> 2) Yes, running in the 'global' network with outdated peers is likely to
> cause all kinds of fun problems, as the DHT may or may not work, or in
> the worst case the DHT discovers a path which then does not work on the
> CADET layer because some hop speaks just enough of the DHT protocol but
> not enough of the CADET protocol.

Maybe the basics of protocol design aren't as
exciting as inventing new crypto paradigms, but
could we please increment the protocol number
each time a change is introduced that will not
be compatible with the past? Yes, I know that
only parts are incompatible - but I don't care.
There is nobody out there that we have to be
backward compatible for. We can increment the
protocol version identifier for each edit of
any CADET file for another year before the
whole thing is stable - and then, for the next
release we can just revert it to your favorite
number.

Also, shouldn't all those "misbehaving" old nodes
be automatically bypassed thanks to our amazing
detection of sybil attacks?

Half a year ago we had a working CADET and a
frequently working gnunet-social. Why do we have
to go three steps back?