Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on copyrights in gnURL / cURL

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on copyrights in gnURL / cURL
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 11:46:29 +0000

Christian Grothoff transcribed 4.0K bytes:
> On 09/14/2017 08:40 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> > Common law (US/UK) allows to entirely sell your copyright; in European
> > law you can't sell your copyright.  But the final effect is basically
> > the same.
> >
> >> don't see that you'd even have a right to require attribution, and you
> >
> > Who can take that away?
>
> My understanding of the GPL is that it allows arbitrary modifications,
> including removing author attributions. That's why the GFDL has
> invariant sections, which in turn has caused Debian to declare GFDL with
> invariant sections as non-free. So my interpretation is that if you
> contribute to a project under GPL, you implicitly waive your right to
> require attribution because of the license. So it's not taken away, it's
> given away together with liberating the code. (None of this should imply
> that it is morally right to remove attributions.)
>
> >> certainly have no duty to provide it in any particular form either.
> >> Besides, Git is good enough for that for anyone who really wants to know.
> >
> > The problem with relying on Git is that there is no requirement to
> > distribute the repo along with the, say, tarball.  Eventually there will
> > be only a tarball with modification outside of Git.  Thus it is

That's actually something I could do, once I have `make dist` fixed or
something similar written. Inclusion of a Changelog wouldn't display
all the files touched as I was lazy with commit notes, but iirc
git has ways to include that aswell.

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588