[GNUnet-developers] the status of gnURL

From: ng0
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] the status of gnURL
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 08:31:36 +0000

Hi everyone,

With the release of 7.55.1-3 I am positive that I achieved one of the
initial goals of gnURL: cURL and gnURL should be able to exist on one
system (without the need for downstream packagers to apply further hacks).
This was tested on GuixSD, via "guix environment" with gnurl and curl
in a shared environment (guix environment --ad-hoc gnurl curl) where I
ran some tests with gnurl and curl. Initial collision should have been
detected as I entered this environment, this didn't happen this time.

So, what's next?

* Extend buildsystem fixes
  What I need is contributions for architectures other
  than the ones Guix supports. And even there I can only monitor the
  builds for architectures I don't have. The packaging happens
  exclusively on x86_64 ("amd64").
  As gnURL will stick around for some time longer if we can't make
  it obsolete by upstream (cURL) contributions, I'd like to extend
  the ability of building gnURL on other hardware and system platforms.
  The target is to build at least on all the platforms GNUnet supports
  native.

* Further Adjustments: documentation
  Right now the documentation (man3 etc) gnURL includes are just
  renamed from what cURL includes. I would like to figure out
  how much I actually provide and strip off the rest.

* New Features?
  Christian concluded the initial announcement post of gnURL with:
  "However, we're happy to add new features relating to this core
  subset and might be easier to convince than the cURL developers."

  So, what features would you like to see without introducing too
  much maintenance burden you have to debug? Is there anything
  cURL doesn't do you'd like to see or change?

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588