Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet copyright assignment (important!)

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet copyright assignment (important!)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:30:20 +0100

On 01/12/2017 11:18 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:40, address@hidden said:
>
>> with the spirit of free software.  The developers present at the meeting
>> also already signed the copyright assignment agreement (PDF attached).
>
> A contract of a German Verein stating that it is subject to _Swiss law_
> (6.1) but then requiring that disputes are solved by _German court_
> (6.2)?  What's going on here?

Swiss copyright law is simpler than the German Urheberrecht, as it
simply treats such contributions like other property, so for example
there is no Urheberpersönlichkeitsrecht. Also, pEp foundation is Swiss.

Finally, GNUnet e.V. is German, which is I think where the German court
comes from.

> Copyright assignments are anyway out of fashion and only used by older
> GNU projects and by companies (e.g. Canonical) who plan to cannibalize
> the code for their proprietary stuff.

Please read it more carefully, the contract prevents it from being
cannibalized by requiring us to continue to release all future version
as free software.

> I don't know whether I have any
> substantial code in GNUnet but it is out of question that I or g10 Code
> will ever sign such a contract.

That is naturally a question of the definition of "substantial".
Regardless, maybe I can call you later to discuss your concerns?