[GNUnet-developers] a solution for integrated package definitions; gnurl

From: ng0
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] a solution for integrated package definitions; gnurl and the copyrights
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 22:40:03 +0000

TL;DR the current solution for integrated package definitions in
the sources is not good, we can do better; gnurl copyrights
question.

Hi,

Right now we provide packages for Nix and Guix in tree for
developer versions. However, this is very limited and not
extendable without spending much time on thinking about how to
make it smarter. We can do better.
One solution I see: It would be easier and more convenient to
have a path structure people can use as "GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH" or as
part of their Guile load path, or the Nix equivalents of them.
Right now I would have to create one file (or file bundle) per
git repository to enable only the in-checkout usage of the latest
versions for developers, limited to what's inside this one file
as they can not depend on files above their root dir.
Of course this smarter solution could be integrated into each
repository, but that just adds to the files to maintain.

I propose to add "system-packages.git" or something equivalent.
My time with Nix and NixOS was limited so far, but if I
understand it correctly we could have this layout:

system-packages.git:

README.rst: Instructions on how to use this dual system
repository, etc.

nix
 pkgs
   applications
     networking
       gnunet
         default.nix

guix
 guixgnunet
   packages
     gnunet.scm

The structure for nix I would leave up to tg, as tg was the one
who added and maintains the package(s) for Nix.

Users of guix would point the GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH to guix-gnunet,
so the modules are named (guixgnunet packages gnunet) and
similar.

Second item:
I have a question I forgot to ask during the meeting...
Following the copyright assignment (I still have to get my
printer working again), how will gnurl be treated? Are there any
changes for gnurl I have to make? Can changes be made, or will it
just be left as is?

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
PGP keys and more: https://n0is.noblogs.org/ http://ng0.chaosnet.org