[GNUnet-developers] Summary of agreements signed at the GNUnet e.V. annu

From: Sree Harsha Totakura
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Summary of agreements signed at the GNUnet e.V. annual meeting
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:33:14 +0100

Dear Developers,

Our annual GNUnet e.V. meeting happened today.  Matthias Wachs will be
publishing the minutes at https://gnunet.org/svn/gnunet-ev/minutes

During the meeting we also signed some agreements on sharing copyrights
over GNUnet with PEP Foundation and Taler Systems AG.  I was asked to
summarize them here.  These agreements will also be published on the
mailing list.

1. GNUnet e.V - PEP Foundation agreement: GNUnet e.V. and PEP signed an
agreement to assign PEP shared ownership on GNUnet code so that PEP can
distribute GNUnet with licenses other than GPL as it is required for
deploying GNUnet on some platforms (including but not restricted to
iOS).  In exchange PEP agreed to contribute to GNUnet development and
that all changes made to GNUnet by PEP, also including versions which
are licensed by PEP under licenses other than GPL, will be owned by
GNUnet e.V. as well (shared ownership).  Note that PEP's ownership on
GNUnet code is not transferable, i.e., sub-licensing its ownership is
not allowed.

2. GNUnet e.V - Taler Systems AG: GNUnet e.V and Taler Systems AG signed
an agreement to transfer copyrights from GNUnet e.V to Taler Systems AG
over the contributions made by GNUnet e.V to Taler.  In exchange, Taler
Systems AG transferred copyrights over the code they contributed to
GNUnet to GNUnet e.V.  Additionally, GNUnet e.V received 15 percent
share in Taler Systems AG.

3. Additionally, we also collected copyright assignments from GNUnet
developers.  This is related to what I wrote on this ML earlier:

On 12/23/2016 11:59 AM, Sree Harsha Totakura wrote:
> The club has recently decided to collect copyrights on code contributed
> by you to GNUnet and/or its dependencies now or in the past.  This
> effort helps the club to centralize the copyrights and then be able to
> license GNUnet to be able to fund future development of GNUnet and
> similar efforts taken up by the club.
> What I do ask from you in case you are planning to attend the congress
> and can join the meeting or meet Grothoff at some point, is to *print a
> copy of the attached copyright assignment and bring it with you* if you
> intend to sign it.
>
> To summarize, the copyright assignment says that you are willing to
> assign GNUnet e.V. the rights to use your contributions and you are
> indeed the one who contributed your contribution. It also assures that
> GNUnet e.V will keep the development of GNUnet remains free and open for
> all.
>
> In future, we may ask developers to sign the copyright with GPG
> signatures, but for now, we are collecting them on paper.

Regards,
Sree