Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet in Whonix

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet in Whonix
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:23:14 +0100

Strange, why on Earth would spamassassin put the two replies to the
mail into the SPAM folder?

>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>  2.7 DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL    RBL: Envelope sender listed in dnsbl.ahbl.org
>  1.8 FRT_BIGGERMEM1         BODY: ReplaceTags: Bigger / Larger, Penis / Member

Oh, somebody said Penis. PEEEEEEEEEEEENIIS.

>  0.8 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%

Yeah, sure.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 01:39:10AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> >Way too old, but we have a few serious bugs in the source repo we need
> >to fix before we can make a reasonably stable release.
>
> Thanks for your reply Christian. Understood. We'll keep an eye out
> for any announcements.

I was happily using gnunet-fs this summer... so a retroactive release
may be useful.

> >>* Since we are Tor based (and we need our notifications to reach users
> >>who live behind firewalls) we will be tunneling our GNUnet
> >>communications over Tor. I haven't been able to connect GNUnet
> >>over Tor
> >>in Whonix yet (user -> Tor -> GNUnet). Did anyone manage to run GNUnet
> >>over Tor using the TCP based transports?
> >
> >IIRC Lynx has done this, but probably using the HTTP-based transports

I actually did the opposite. I ran Tor over GNUnet, happily. I was
on the web for a whole day without noticing any difference from
regular Tor usage. That was also during this summer. CADET already
had big bug reports, but it was mostly working for my needs.

> >with the HTTP-proxy option.  Regardless, to do so one will also have to
> >configure at least some peers to run as Tor hidden services. Doable,
> >helps big time with NAT traversal (one of the bigger open issues), but
> >non-trivial setup.

Jeff has been working on that part of the code... right?
Having peers with THS would avoid our traffic going through
Tor exits, but given how GNUnet already provides a certain
degree of anonymity, you may want to consider putting the
gnunet daemons in the firewall qube rather than in the
user applications qube... in the medium-long term, expect
GNUnet to offer alternate/superior anonymity to Tor anyway
(see http://secushare.org/anonymity about that).

> A side-effect of connecting over Tor is NAT traversal though I
> understand that otherwise it can be  problem. I'll see if the
> torsevers.net guys are willing to help host some GNUnet nodes come
> prime-time.

> >You want to invoke gnunet-config to edit the configuration file. I'm
> >right now working on gnunet-nat, to automatically produce a reasonable
> >configuration for NATed systems ("gnunet-nat -aw" will be the
> >command to
> >run once it works nicely, you can run "gnunet-nat -a" to just display
> >the suggested changes to the config).

CADET just needs some nodes in the backbone to relay from
natted peer to natted peer, right? Having better support for
NAT in order to enable naked (and metadata-unfriendly) P2P
is nice, but shouldn't be a blocker, no? We're not file
sharing Hollywood blurays, after all...

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/