[GNUnet-developers] GNUnet in Whonix

From: bancfc
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet in Whonix
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:11:02 +0100

Hi. I am a Whonix [0] developer.

We are looking for a decentralized and censorship-resistant storage network to communicate notifications about critical situations [1] to our users and host the project metadata and files themselves to resist a Permanent Takedown Attack.[2]

GNUnet seems a perfect match for our purposes. I have some questions:

* Is the GNUnet version in Debian stable (currently: jessie) current enough to connect with the GNUnet live network or is it usually obsolete because of Debian's stable freeze policy? If its the latter could you please consider running your own standalone repo?

* We have approx. 15K users - are you okay with us adding such a number of users to your current network?

* Since we are Tor based (and we need our notifications to reach users who live behind firewalls) we will be tunneling our GNUnet communications over Tor. I haven't been able to connect GNUnet over Tor in Whonix yet (user -> Tor -> GNUnet). Did anyone manage to run GNUnet over Tor using the TCP based transports?

* What tools can be used to customize GNUnet node settings via scripting in Bash/Python?

***

[0] Whonix is an anonymous Debian based OS (whonix.org) Some of you may know us from the Tor lists ;)

[1] Apt CVE-2016-1252: During apt-get upgrading signature verification can be tricked resulting in arbitrary package installation, system compromise. We would have liked a way to notify users to avoid running apt entirely and instead the necessary manual steps to download/verify the patched binaries.

[2] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/Permanent_Takedown_Attack_Defender