Re: [GNUnet-developers] [OpenWrt] Project proposal: The GNUnet of autono

From: Drasko DRASKOVIC
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [OpenWrt] Project proposal: The GNUnet of autonomous Things
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:28:19 +0100

Hi Daniel,
Very interesting project!

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Daniel Golle <address@hidden> wrote:
> Project schedule
>
> (I)
> As a first step towards better integration of typical IoT USE-cases
> into OpenWrt/LEDE, a ubus service allowing access to low-bandwidth
> peripherals shall be created. It's modular design shall allow for
> plugins providing access to various different APIs and low-level
> busses. Plugins may expose read and write access to datastructures
> and emmitt event notifications.
> The ubus API shall be sound and well-documented. Sample plugins
> including verbose comments utilizing and demonstrating that
> infrastructure shall be implemented.

Do we really need this phase? I.e. is ubus the best solution?

We at WeIO (http://we-io.net) used something that we called  IoTPy
(https://github.com/nodesign/weio/tree/master/IoTPy),
but I think today besto solution is to use Intel's MRAA
(https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa) in combination with UPM
(https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/upm).

This way user get a bunch of drivers for various sensors and actuators
in different language bindings.

> (II)
> Once sensors and actores are available via the local ubus instance,
> a ubus rpc proxy which operates as a GNUnet service shall be implemented
> to allow secure and privacy-aware pairing of OpenWrt/LEDE devices and
> remote access to ubus using GNUnet.

Looks like a sane solution to me. I have started some months ago
working on a centralized solution called Electrolink -
https://github.com/projectiota/electrolink.
It uses MQTT or CoAP to pack and send RPC messages in JSON or CBOR.

Currently we are working on MRAA<->Electrolink integration.

For decentralization - this is worh loking:
https://safenetforum.org/t/maidsafe-and-gnunet-comparison/2779.

Maybe some of scalable blockchain solution (Tendermint? Blockstack?)
are also worth investigating.

Telehash (http://telehash.org/) looks like a great candidate also.

BR,
Drasko