Re: [GNUnet-developers] [OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt] Project pro

From: Daniel Golle
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt] Project proposal: The GNUnet of autonomous Things
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 14:03:38 +0100

Hi Arturo,

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 03:58:17AM +0100, Arturo Rinaldi wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> as Kathy mentioned as first answer to Daniel, a proper setup running GNUnet
> on our boards could give us a boost in the IoT world. During the last years

I'm pretty sure we are practically at this point already. Try

opkg install gnunet-gns-flat

(and maybe some more transports, such as gnunet-transport-wlan or
gnunet-transport-http_client)

Once you got that, you can easily use it to tunnel access to
conventional TCP/IP services via GNUnet using gnunet-exit and
gnunet-vpn, which are already well-integrated with the OpenWrt
packaging I created to have GNUnet participate in BattleMesh during
the past years.

> we have developed a new approach to the arduino "bridge" interaction with
> CIAO :
>
> http://www.arduino.org/learning/tutorials/advanced-guides/ciao

Interesting and indeed similar to the lower layers of the GNUnet stack.
I'll definitely have a deeper look at it.

> this is of course requires the use of Python as high level language since
> it is designed around it but transparent to any kind of connectors. If I
> understand well from this first email exchange, since *ubus* will be the
> running engine of the new it is a completely native approach being it an
> underlying running service of OpenWRT. Am I wrong or didn't John show

Yes, and combined with Felix' SCAL project it will allow atomic ACLs
and integrate with different middle-ware models. The exact machanics
of remote access are *not* part of this unified stack, this is where
freedom to use netconf, TR-069 or any other kind of remote management
stack on top comes in -- I personally imagine something less
centralized than current Web technologies as e.g. local machine to
machine communication shouldn't ever depend on the availability of an
external entitity of connectivity (ie. I still want to be able to
locally control my heating system and have different systems of a
smart home interact even in case of failing internet connectivity).
This is why I see GNUnet in that place, because it comes with both,
local area and wide area transports.

> something similar that night at C-base in Berlin as first attempt of
> creating a sort of new approach to the bridge itself ?

I reckon this was related to Mediatek's LinkIT approach, but I do not
remember the details. John?

> This leads me to think about the possibility to use this solution in
> combination with *lininoIO*, our new approach for exposing the MCU gpio(s)
> as filesystem devices and using them to interact with sensors, actuators
> and so on (it was one of the topics of my talk in Berlin). Would this be a
> reasonable approach for you ? Please let us know what you think about it
> and in case we'll discuss it in the scheduled call.

I imagine this to be a possible backend in the ubus/scal approach I'm
envisioning. I'll have a deeper look at lininoIO so we can talk about
that in more detail soon.

Cheers

Daniel