Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUNET_assert cannot specify component to log fr

From: Markus Teich
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUNET_assert cannot specify component to log from?
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 10:27:24 +0100

Heyho,

no need to add my adress to the recipients separately, I'm subscribed to the
list.

Martin Schanzenbach wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-12-02 at 09:23 +0100, Markus Teich wrote:
> > I can't seem to find any macro in the GNUNET_assert/GNUNET_break family
> > which allows me to specify the component used for logging (like with
> > GNUNET_log_from).  Is this intentional? Is every component expected to
> > define their own assertion macros? Why do they exist in the first place
> > then?
>
> Hmm for what do you need it? Would GNUNET_assert_at not suffice for you?  I
> guess if you need it you can add it.

I think it is useful to specify the component as in GNUNET_log_from if you are
using multiple GNUNET related libraries in your program. GNUNET_assert_at is not
enough, since it also just calls GNUNET_log. I'll add GNUNET_assert_from() then.

> > Also why does the GNUNET_log family not always end the log message with '\n'
> > as a convenience? I could not find a function GNUNET_log_resume or something
> > similar which would use that as a feature and not print the log header
> > again.
>
> Good point. I would agree to such a change.

Since I expect this one to be more controversial (changing the semantic of core
functions), I'll wait a few days to see if there are any objections. ;)

--Markus