[GNUnet-developers] Reverse resolution of VPN/GNS

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Reverse resolution of VPN/GNS
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 17:58:55 +0100

This summer I reported https://gnunet.org/bugs/view.php?id=4625

> For many kinds of applications we need to authenticate incoming connections
> as coming from a certain person or at least from a certain peer. The exit
> daemon is currently not providing a way to find out who is calling. Resolving
> the virtual IP number would be the most backward compatible method. Best if
> it resolves to the same "hostname" as the matching outgoing <nickname>.gnu,
> or even uses the same virtual IP as an outgoing VPN tunnel would use.

Apparently this has sparked an exciting philosophical debate on
social graph reverse resolution: https://gnunet.org/gns-reverse-ideas

I would please ask you to come down from your ivory towers for the
following reasons:

1. Such a reverse resolution method *would* be a local operation
   if gnunet-social and gnunet-psycstore were actually functional
   and all the appropriate subscriptions in place.
   In other words: You are re-inventing secushare.

2. In that blog post you are discussing a "public" social graph
   like PGP's. That is a not exactly futuristic idea and very
   much inferior privacy-wise to the private social graph planned
   by secushare.

3. To make GNS work with existing applications I simply asked to
   teach gnunet-exit to return the same names that were used by
   gnunet-vpn to build those tunnels in the first place. The rest
   of the challenge is then dealt by secushare's pubsub structures.

So all we need to move forward is:

1. The closing of that feature request by implementing just the
   resolution of *known* addresses, in a simple and fast way.
2. Fixing the bugs in gnunet-social or anything below so that we
   can avoid having to use older software just because it works.

Thanks a lot for the recent fixes in CADET, Bart. Haven't tried
out if they magically get everything working again, yet, but I am
hopeful. Who knows, maybe gnunet-social starts working.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/