Re: [GNUnet-developers] Rust Futures

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Rust Futures
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 14:33:04 +0200

On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 12:40 +0200, Raphael Arias wrote:
> a couple of months back, there was a thread about async IO in Rust (and
> promises, futures, etc.) on this mailing list.

We had a Google Summer of Code student Kelong Cong port Andrew Cann's
gnunet-rs from a library that links to the GNUNet scheduler written in C
to using promises in the Cap'n Proto folks asynchronous IO library gjio.
His final report is here :
https://gnunet.org/node/2629

> I didn't really follow
> all of it and have not read the following article completely, but it
> seems relevant in the context. You might have already heard about it,
> though.
>
> Here it goes: [0]. And the older article it references: [1].

> [0] https://aturon.github.io/blog/2016/09/07/futures-design/
> [1] https://aturon.github.io/blog/2016/08/11/futures/

These are new libraries that did not exist last spring when we selected
gjio.  In fact, their callers frequently exploit a new language feature
that did not exist then.  That said..

We selected gjio partially because gj does promises with the non-Send
variants Rc and RefCell of Arc and Mutex/RwLock.  It seems easier to go
from these non-Send types to a Send types than the other way around.

I believe we *can* relatively easily convert gnunet-rs from gjio to
futures-io, or tokio, or whatever the current layering of futures-rs on
top of mio is called.  I'll do so if I think that's wise once I have
this mixnet library far enough along to start to build an actual
service.  I'm slow though.  :P

Jeff