Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Question on "Rust implementation of GNUne

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Question on "Rust implementation of GNUnet utils" project
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:26:43 +0100

On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 20:39 +0100, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> Whatever we decide here we may need to revise for
> the next major revision of Rust, so if we had a GNUNET-SCHEDULER-like
> *abstraction*, we can likely retarget that logic to match whatever way
> Rust evolves to support.  So my suggestion would be to put a
> scheduler-like API on top of mio for now, with the language-derived
> benefit that it would be thread-safe, even if it doesn't necessarily use
> them.

I mentioned it before, but it bears repeating since both you and Andrew
expressed that sentiment :

It appears the closest thing to this abstraction is eventual, and
eventual_io is the targeting of eventual at mio.

If we really want that modularity, then adding anything we need like
timers to eventual_io might be the right approach.

Rust may develop slowly but they actually develop abstractions pretty
well.  :)

Jeff