Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Guix + GNUnet: report

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Guix + GNUnet: report
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:40:10 +0200

On 08/28/2015 12:30 PM, address@hidden wrote:

>> Nitpick: it’s a bit annoying that we have to specify a GNUnet
>> configuration file.
>
> Yes, GNUnet programs usually look for `~/.config/gnunet.conf`, and
> `publish-gnunet` does the same. Now, maybe `publish-gnunet` could
> somehow obtain the config file used by `gnunet-arm`?

No, it would need the config file to figure out how to talk to
gnunet-service-arm (or any other service). And we do support running
many instances of peers on the same host, which really means the config
is the only way to find out.

> Hopefully, using the “closure” parameters of the GNUnet API in the
> bindings should reduce the need for global variables, and improve
> elegance of end-user programs.
>
> Finally, the previously mentionned repositories are:
>
>   libextractor: https://gnunet.org/svn/Extractor/
>   GNUnet:       https://gnunet.org/svn/gnunet
>   bindings:     http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/gnunet.git
>
> and the commands to get the code:
>
>   $ svn co -r 36031 https://gnunet.org/svn/Extractor
>   $ svn co -r 36242 https://gnunet.org/svn/gnunet
>   $ git clone http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/gnunet.git
>
> Good afternoon!

We should have a sub-section that links to this Git repository and (at
least briefly) documents what it does in the developer handbook under
https://gnunet.org/file-sharing-service

Remi, could you please write some text for this? (If you lack
permissions to add a page, privately send me your account's URL on
gnunet.org and I'll set you up; or if that's too complicated, you could
also just send the body/text formatted in HTML).

Happy hacking!