Re: [GNUnet-developers] Guix + GNUnet at GSoC?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Guix + GNUnet at GSoC?
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:48:49 +0100

Hi Ludo,

Yes, I think we should. MESH (now CADET) is much further along and the
API is stable.  I also don't see any other significant roadblocks.

Nevertheless, I agree that we should have some more design discussions,
as I can still imagine many ways how one _might_ do this -- and in any
case we need to come up with a reasonable feature list.  In fact, maybe
that's the best starting point: what are all the things you would like
"binary package distribution" to do?  I don't think we ever tried to
write a comprehensive feature list. I have in mind:

1) Transfer of source code (with signatures / integrity checking /
   build rules)
2) Transfer of binary packages (with signatures / integrity checking),
   which also requires
   - specification of platforms (what is binary-compatible)
   - specification of platform-independent resources
     ("noarch"/"all"/"data")
3) Incremental updates
   - to source (i.e. "diff")
   - to binaries (funky binary-diff)
4) Notification about available updates to sources (to individual
   packages or full distribution by distribution authority), or
   signed messages asserting no updates are available (also important
   to avoid adversary preventing upgrade)
5) Notification about available updates to binaries (including
   signatures of binary package builders arriving at the same
   (or different!?) deterministic build hash)
6) A trust graph / metric / WoT-like construction to determine
   how many (and which) binary package builders are needed before
   we trust third-party binaries (instead of building ourselves
   from source)
7) Automatically offering packages the local system has build to
   others (or not)
8) Delegation of build authority (i.e. Ludo (= Guix root), might
   delegate source code packaging for GnuPG to
   Werner (= GnuPG maintainer)); this creates questions of how
   to handle/specify/allow/prohibit transitive delegations
   (subpackages (KDE, Kedit), related packages (GnuPG/Enigmail)

Anyway, those are the main fun things that come to my mind, but I might
forget some ;-).

-Christian