Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet and multi-threading

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet and multi-threading
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:02:03 +0200

I agree with LRN on the point that I would not want to see changes to
the C library to enable threads for the scheduler.  As for writing a
blocking multi-threaded replacement for Rust, I'm not sure how good that
idea is from a software engineering point of view. Sure, it may be more
in line with language paradigms and may in some cases be easier to
debug, but overall having to worry about locking and data races in a
large code base is worth quite a bit.  GNUnet had threads until 0.8, and
they caused much, much pain.  I somehow doubt that Rust magically makes
all of those problems go away.  Still, if you think that you really need
a blocking API for Rust, go ahead, but please don't expect the C code to
adapt for it.  As LRN said, there would be many issues with the code
once additional threads are introduced.