Re: [GNUnet-developers] DBus in GNUnet?

From: Andrew Cann
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] DBus in GNUnet?
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 18:51:05 +0800

> Really? I had the impression that DBus was able to do direct
> client-to-client communication as well from the docs (they write: "Also,
> the message bus is built on top of a general one-to-one message passing
> framework, which can be used by any two apps to communicate directly
> (without going through the message bus daemon).").

Actually this is true, but I've never used or looked at this feature. I've
only ever used dbus by communicating through a bus daemon. I'll do some
research on this to see if we can use it.

> Because of that, I'd really like to see
>
> * better understanding of the group access control issue

I'll do some research on this aswell.

> * performance evaluation (memory overhead, CPU impact);
>   i.e. we could compare creating 100,000 IPC channels and
>   between 4,000 processes and sending 10,000,000 messages
>   (of different sizes, say 4-32k bytes, in both directions
>   query-response style).

I'll try and setup some experiments to measure this and see if it's
feasible.

> * some sample modifications for client and service code (i.e. for
>   just the DHT service)

And if all the above looks good I'll get started on this aswell!
I don't know how much time I'll have to work on all this but hopefully
I'll be
able to get back to you within the next couple of weeks with some results :)

> I hope you understand why I'm not just giving you a green light
> on this --- this would really be a major change and I'd really
> want to be sure that this is the right direction.

That's completely understandable.

> p.s.: why did you take this off-list?

Silly mistake. I just hit 'reply' in thunderbird and thought that would
reply
to the list.