Re: [GNUnet-developers] switch to a DVCS (Git)?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] switch to a DVCS (Git)?
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 10:19:18 +0200

On 10/22/2012 07:58 AM, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
        I wonder if there're plans to switch to a DVCS (such as Git, as
        successfully used by a number of free software projects,
        including those part of the GNU project), for GNUnet
        development?

This is really getting a FAQ these days:
https://gnunet.org/subversion-vs-git

        Alternatively, one can run svnsync(1) to get a replica of a
        Subversion repository, but it's a costly operation (or at least
        it was the last time I've tried), primarily for the server the
        repository is hosted on.  (Using git-svn(1) against a remote
        server incurs, I believe, roughly the same amount of burden on
        the latter.)

Do not worry about the gnunet.org server, the machine can take it. Any developer who wants to create their own local git should feel totally free to svnsync, without worrying about the load on the server. Worry about _your_ bandwidth (gnunet.org has 1.5 GBit/s).

        However, if it's agreed upon, I may perform the svnsync(1) +
        git-svn(1) combination by myself, and clone the result to a
        publicly-acessible repository (perhaps on Gitorious.

Yuck. Please don't create a public fork just to get your own choice of VCS. See the FAQ. If you feel that you've got good patches that don't get accepted, then a fork may makes sense, but you never send a single patch! And, if you plan on making extensions to GNUnet that might not go into the main tree, please clone 'gnunet-ext' which is our template for 3rd party extensions --- as GNUnet provides lots of libraries with APIs, that may also be appropriate. But please don't just create a fork for no good reason.

Happy hacking!