Re: [GNUnet-developers] about the FCFS registration and the pubkey - whi

From: subscribernamegoeshere+201207
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] about the FCFS registration and the pubkey - which pubkey to really use? -s? or really -P?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:59:48 +0200

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Christian Grothoff
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/16/2012 07:07 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>> I have self-compiled 0.9.3 and tried to register some zone (do you
>> only type the subzone name, or a complete one on the fcfs regsite?),
>> but I think the only time it succeeded was, when I actually used not
>> the gnunet-rsa -P command but the gnunet-rsa -S command to get the
>> short/hashed pubkey of my installation.
> Right, you must use the short hash (as DNS limits individual name
> segments to 63 characters, GNS uses the short hash).  Where did you read
> that you should use the long version?

its right there in your blog/main website page, isnt it? I already
gave the link below:
>> Is that a bug in documentation at:
>> https://gnunet.org/gns-fcfs-authority-started

it reads from my webbrowser:
> Now, in order to do so, you first need to generate a public-private key pair
> (called your zone key) and extract the hash of the public key in the format
> that
> the webserver expects. With gnunet 0.9.3 (or SVN HEAD), you can do this
> by running:
> $ gnunet-rsa -P mykeyfile.zkey

running that command on a new file (manpage actually says it gets
generated a new file when the file isnt present, thus giving me new
public/private keypair in that new filename) gives me a long string
that doesnt get accepted on the gnunet.org/fcfs registration page at
all.

only the gnunet-rsa -s mykeyfile
generates a string/hash that I can use on the gnunet.org/fcfs registration page.
on the -P keytype/hashtype I only get key parsing error from the fcfs
registration webpage as a result or so.

>> and the public key, is it really supposed to be generated via
>> gnunet-rsa -P ~/.gnunet/gns/zonekey.zkey
>>
>> rather than
>> gnunet-rsa -s ~/.gnunet/gns/zonekey.zkey?
>
> Either command will generate the same kind of key in the file, just the
> hash function used to generate the textual output will be different.

please be precise and detailed about what to use exactly, as I have
stated above only the -s hash works on the registering page, the -P
hash doesnt work, thats already a first confusion for new users

Regards.