[GNUnet-developers] Various gnunet-gtk issues

From: Milan Bouchet-Valat
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Various gnunet-gtk issues
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:52:43 +0200

Hi all!

I changed once again the layout of the treeview for search results:
- now it looks like Nautilus and the GtkFileChooser: we gain in
consistency, eye-candy, and a little space is freed; the hierarchy
directory/children is much more clear now
- status logos are nicer and free a lot of space, allowing to see the
meta-data

Question: was does GNUNET_URITRACK_DIRECTORY_ADDED means? I've chosen a
'+' icon (GTK_STOCK_ADD) for this status, but I did not really
understand it...

Now there's a problem: we cannot sort files by type. The previous 'Type'
column with icons was not good either, because icons regroup many
different MIME types, which would have been separated without
explanation when sorting. I wonder whether we should add a column with
the type description after the meta-data one: icons don't tell what
precise format is the file (could be solved with a tooltip, though), and
putting it before meta-data would partially hide them. This would allow
sorting by type when required (no so common case, maybe). What do you
think?

Apart from that, I've been thinking for a while of removing the 'Search
Overview' list from 'Activity' so that more space is available for,
esp., downloads. The overview is already available with the tabs in
'Search and download', anyway. With this change, 'Search and download'
could be set as the first tab, thus the default in FS (since it is the
first step and most useful one). Comments?

Also, I've noticed a strange behavior of the 'Stop' download button.
Contrary to the 'Delete' one, it does not update the search views, and
the "cancelled" status is not set. This is quite inconsistent.

And last but not least: when do you plan to release 0.8? It could be
nice for me to avoid committing buggy code just when you try to
stabilize all this stuff. This will be a great release!

Regards