Re: [GNUnet-developers] Suggestion: CIA (The open source version control

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Suggestion: CIA (The open source version control informant)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 03:03:29 -0600

I'm not sure that CIA would help get a discussion going, but I agree that the
current lack of discussion on the mailinglist(s) is not great.  Since I maybe
to blame for some of this due to me posting news on IRC and not here, I guess
the best way to address this maybe to just start posting more stuff here (in
the hope that discussions will follow).

So, here's what's going on right now:

1) there is an odd crash of gnunetd in SVN HEAD that has been reproduced by a
couple of people but cannot easily be diagnosed: the code seems to jump to a
random address (and dies), resulting in useless stack traces, so I have no
idea or hint as to where it is comming from -- that's the main thing holding
off any release right now

2) the HTTP-transport using libmicrohttpd (http://gnunet.org/libmicrohttpd/)
and libcurl is in alpha.  Some peers are using it, but it still seems to have
a few quirks that need to be ironed out before it is ready for general
consumption

3) SVN HEAD contains a new GTK interface for gnunet-setup; the new UI is much
nicer and easier to use than the old GtkTreeView-based one, feedback would be
welcome

4) I'm seeing quite a bit of UDP traffic (50%) going on right now.  This
causes packets to be fragmented, and sadly quite often reassembly fails
(which means bandwidth is wasted).  I've commited code to SVN HEAD that will
cause gnunetd to consider switching to TCP whenever messages need to be
fragmented.  This may help a bit.  An alternative might be to extend the UDP
transport to try retransmitting lost fragments.  That'd cost memory and add
complexity, but maybe worth it.

5) Some users still seem to have problems with high CPU load; mine is less
than 5% with similar configurations, so I it is hard for me to judge what is
going on.  src/server/handler.c has an #ifdef that allows gnunetd to collect
per-query-type execution timings (printed on shutdown only!), a report on a
system running HEAD and experiencing high CPU load would be welcome. (Note:
HEAD uses less CPU by being less persistent about re-trying session key
exchanges with peers that are most likely down...).

</braindump>

Happy hacking

Christian