Re: [GNUnet-developers] p2p 'massively multi-player games (MMGs)'

From: rgil
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] p2p 'massively multi-player games (MMGs)'
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:20:57 +0100

Hello,

I'm a member of an investigation group that is developing a platform to enable the creation and distribution of Massively Multiplayer Online Game experience (Zarabatana Platform). I?m taking a PhD and my research goal is: Design a general architecture for MMOG infrastructure that achieves the necessary balance between requirements (scalability, fault tolerance, quality of service, performance, low cost, and persistence) while avoiding conflicts between them.

In order to achieve this goal I developed a set of service that will support a p2p overlay were the game simulation takes place. These services are for example directory, persistence, content distribution, accounting, etc. Currently I?m developing a communication middleware p2p based that have the following issues in consideration:
- Scalability
- Performance
- Fault-tolerance
- Quality of Service
- Security
- Availability
- Persistence
- Synchronization
- End-to-End Connectivity

About the latency problem, our communication protocol is based on NEO with some improvements. I'm using network monitoring and profiling techniques, in order to dynamically adjust communication path to the network topologies of the peers' communication overlay.

I writing, a paper where I present this middleware, explain all my options and show some preliminary results.

Best regards,
Rui Gil