[GNUnet-developers] gnunet-setup

From: N. Durner
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-setup
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 23:08:54 +0200

Hi,

as you may have noticed, I'm putting lots of work into GNUnet's configuration software called "gnunet-setup".
It's supposed to do whatever a good installer should:

   * change configuration files in a sane and safe way
   * have a localized UI
   * at the first installation
         o create a new user (and group) that owns gnunetd and its files
         o create startup scripts to launch gnunetd automatically
   * guide new users
   * give experienced users access to "advanced" and "rare" options

GNUnet 0.7 will include the first working version of gnunet-setup and I ask all package maintainers to use it instead of self-built scripts.
However, there are some platform specifics I need help with:

   * _List of available network interfaces_
     I'm doing a "ifconfig" at the moment to get this list. This works
     for Linux and OS X, but NetBSD needs "ifconfig -l". Does this
     apply to all BSDs?
     NetBSD's output is a single line with the interfaces separated by
     a space. Linux and OS X use a multi-lined format with the
     interface at the beginning of the line and spaces or a colon
     afterwards (in case of OS X). What about the others?
   * _Create a new user_
     Support for Debian-style adduser is there:
       /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --system --ingroup [group]
     --no-create-home [user]
     I have noticed FreeBSD uses other options for adduser
     (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=adduser&sektion=8), are
     there other versions of adduser I'm not aware of?
     The same question applies to addgroup

     Support for "useradd" is a TODO. Is RedHead the only distribution
     that supports a "create as system account"? What about other
     platforms?

     Does OS X have a way to create a new user/group by gnunet-setup?
   * _Start GNUnet automatically
     _Debian has "update-rc.d" to add a startup script
     (/etc/init.d/gnunet). What about the others?

The Windows port of gnunet-setup is complete.

More information about gnunet-setup:

   * Bug #593: https://gnunet.org/mantis/view.php?id=593
   * GTK frontend: https://gnunet.org/drupal/?q=node/56
   * Wizard frontend: https://gnunet.org/drupal/?q=node/76