Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet.conf in GNUnet 0.6.6b

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet.conf in GNUnet 0.6.6b
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:32:13 -0500

On Friday 11 March 2005 20:37, Marcos D. Marado Torres wrote:
> > Also, making things more user-friendly is always easier said than done.
> > Do you have any concrete suggestions?
>
> Yes,: trying that the "first time generated gnunet.conf" is a configuration
> that runs well in almost all systems (with stuff like adding "INTERFACE =
> eth0" to it), making a "configuration GUI" and renaming "gnunet-gtk" to
> "gnunet" (or something like that) for those who "want to try gnunet" but
> doesn't really know which binary to execute.

Well, gnunetd does generate exactly such a configuration file (gnunet-gtk
however does not).  As for renaming gnunet-gtk to gnunet, I don't think that
is a good idea.  If a user is unsure which binary to run, well,
gnunet-TAB-TAB will show a list and then the man-pages can help explain which
one does what.  Just running gnunet-gtk btw, is not quite sufficient since
you also have to start gnunetd -- and in particular for the first run when
gnunetd may not yet be configured I'd think it'd be unwise to say that it can
'just' be started from gnunet-gtk.

Anyway, I hope all of these configuration/setup issues will improve once
gnunet-setup is implemented (not that I have a clear timeline for that or
anything).  If you want to help with gnunet-setup, please do so -- patches
are always welcome.