[GNUnet-developers] Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet webpage moved

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet webpage moved
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:42:19 -0500

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 13:50, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Although I do not want to launch a counterproductive debate, I'm a bit
> surprised seeing that you chose to switch to Subversion since (i) the GNU
> Project has its own software configuration management system which is
> GNU arch [1] and (ii) GNU arch is AFAIK technically superior to SVN (in
> particular with respect to distributed development).

I'm aware of GNU arch and did consider it.  But I from various reviews I read
it sounded like it was possibly not stable enough yet and also I don't think
we need that kind of feature set.  SVN has the advantage that it is very
close to CVS so developers won't have to learn much new stuff.  In fact,
alias cvs svn and except for the initial checkout everything works as
before :-).  My primary motivation for the switch was to eliminate developer
accounts on the server, and SVN does that nicely.  Oh, and SVN is of course
also free software, so I don't think it is a bad thing for a GNU project to
use it.

Thanks.  Oh, and btw, I've just moved Mantis (https://gnunet.org/mantis/).