[GNUnet-developers] big endian & CRC problems

From: Jussi Eloranta
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] big endian & CRC problems
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:04:08 +0200

Howdy,

Long time ago I reported that the MacOS X (PPC / big endian) machines
were complaining about CRC errors when downloading files. The files actually download correctly with no problmes. For example, with GNUnet 0.6.5 I get:

Dec 19 18:58:15 FAILURE: File corrupted (or bug).
Dec 19 18:58:15 Assertion failed at block.c:1855.

or with insert;

Dec 19 21:30:47 FAILURE: File corrupted (or bug).
Dec 19 21:30:47 Failure at block.c:1838.

If I look at function childDownloadCompleted in block.c I understand that it calculates CRC checksum for the data as well as for the CRCs obtained from the data? The latter is in parent->crcs[] array which have elements of type int. Now, if one calculates CRC of this array then it will very much depend on the byte
ordering of each int. Or am I missing something ?

Anyway, it is the following test that fails:

crc32N(&parent->crcs[0], sizeof(int) * parent->childcount) != parent->crc32

in block.c.

Another thing. In util/checksum.c the static array crc_table element 255 is used to check if the crc array needs to be generated. Should the compiler initialize these to zero??? If not the one should have another variable, like crc_table_initialized = 0
which would be used as an indicator.

Best regards,

Jussi Eloranta