Re: [GNUnet-developers] Keywords in AFS

From: Arc Riley
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Keywords in AFS
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:48:53 -0700

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 06:56:05PM +0200, Milan wrote:

> I was thinking about keywords in AFS, and I found another idea to make
> GNUnet more accessible and efficient with searches : there could be
> several kinds of keywords. Meaning, for example with music : album,
> artist, date... almost all of ID3 Tag data could be useful.
<snip>
> The question is : How to implement it ? You know I'm (far) not so good
> as you in GNUnet coding, but I think There could be, as now, general
> keywords, and in addition, specific, classed keywords, which would take
> a signification following the file's type they refer to.
<snip>
> The nodes should be able to return only requests that satisfy the
> keywords, to minimize traffic. The objective is to make GNUnet smarter,
> more usable and  more attractive : no p2p framework has ever used so
> precise keywords for search. What do you think ? Is this simple to
> implement ?

This would be fairly easy to implement using the existing search system,
ie, artist:<artist> for keywords 'ala google.  The problem is that this
requires knowledge of the media type, and there's alot of them.

MP3 is actually pretty old, and proprietary, so ID3 tags aren't really
that useful on their own.  Then you have Ogg Vorbis and FLAC, numerous
proprietary codecs under Quicktime and MS containers, etc etc etc.

Who's going to do this work?  :-)  I think that's what it comes down to.

While you're at it, why not add License tagging so people can specify a
list of acceptable licenses, or sort by licenses, to help find the
truley free/copyleft music out there instead of cookie-cutter commercial
(and thus illegal) music.