Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on how to enforce anonymity

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on how to enforce anonymity
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:04:45 -0500

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 09:46, Nagy Ferenc László wrote:
> > But I would not call such a feature "enforcing anonymity" since you're
> > now trusting a small circle of "friends" and possibly are making a
> > traffic analysis easier since you are limited in your connections.
>
> Are we talking about a closed network? Or is it permitted for my
> friends' nodes to connect to external nodes? In the latter case, is it
> possible to tell my friends' nodes to not forward my HELO messages to
> external nodes?

Your friends can have their own policies (how could you enforce what someone
else is allowed to do?).  About exchanging HELOs, well, you can obviously not
prevent them from doing anything, but the option

HELOEXCHANGE = YES/NO

already exists.  Ok, we might want to have something more fine-grained (to
specify which HELOs are ok to be forwarded), but either way you'll always
have to trust your "friends" here.