[GNUnet-developers] too many open files & gnunet-gtk

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] too many open files & gnunet-gtk
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:06:35 -0500

This is in response to http://gnunet.cryss.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24
and the patch submitted to limit the number of downloads.

I've just gone through the code to make it not die when it hits the limit.  I
did not like the idea of introducing an arbitrary limit (which would break if
ulimit is lower or be too conservative if ulimit is higher; not to mention
that the exact number of open files per download is not that easy to
establish), so what the code now does is print tons of warnings and errors,
but gnunet-gtk should not die if it hits the limit.  Of course, if you select
5 billion files for download at a time and the number of warnings you get is
too much for your X server to handle at the same time, that may still be
fatal (for X).  A workaround might be to not pop up a window and just log the
message (or log them in the info-window and open that [once]).  Anyway, I'm
too lazy to do that now.

I've tired it with ulimit -n 16 and then selected a dozen files for download,
and it now no longer crashes when the open files limit is reached.