[GNUnet-developers] GNUnet-DHT project

From: J. Lindgren
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet-DHT project
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:35:35 +0200 (EET)

Greetings, everyone,

we have started a DHT-on-GNUNET software engineering course project at the
Computer Science Dept., University of Helsinki. Besides playing a project,
the aim is to produce a Distributed Hash Table implementation for the
GNUnet platform. The implementation will probably be something on the
lines of Kademlia/Pastry/Chord and atleast offer a general API that other
GNUnet applications can use for their purposes (such as host lookup). Our
intention is that the resulting GPL'd code will be linked to the GNUnet
source tree when completed (early summer, probably) after which it will
enter the typical GNUnet free-4-all development. Before that, it will most
likely be developed on our departments CVS.

However, the group might have general DHT/P2P-related questions that could
require a deeper understanding of the various concepts and their
implications than I personally have. Due to this, we have agreed with
Christian that its ok to use the gnunet-developers@ list for DHT related
questions/discussions etc should people like to do that. There's also a
DHT mantis category now, but it will probably be useful only to the group
at this point.

So considering that there is probably no single correct answer for
anything, if anyone has any opinions or useful knowledge, don't hesitate
to give input. Good hints/suggestions will be especially useful in the
early phase of the project, as the group will very likely be forced to
something like a traditional waterfall development model. This roughly
means that once something is specified, they are likely to keep it that
way.

Nevertheless, some good might as well come out of it. ;D

Cheers,
J.