[GNUnet-developers] ripe-md160/HashCode160/CRC/MD5

From: jan marco alkema
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] ripe-md160/HashCode160/CRC/MD5
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:15:26 +0100

Hello Christian, Krista,

There are 3 types of files "public", "private" and "Anonymous". Only the
last should be inserted in Gnunet because of speed/protocol efficiency
reasons.

>Um... I know I'm going to regret asking this (please thump me now,
someone), but... why?

Fshhash can identify all three file types very fast. Fshhash can also be
used in an anti virus scanner program. If you know the hash you don't need
to scan the file. Only not identified files should be scanned by
http://www.openantivirus.org/ source code.

Filemon (not open source code) is a very beautiful application. You can see
that the virus scanner of McAfee does do a lot of File checking. I think
that the approach of McAfee will influence the performance of my Windows
machine negatively. If I have ported the current Gnunet implementation I may
see the same thing.

I will try to get source code of a Filemon "look a like" from Internet.

I have changed my approach to Windows/Linux development. On TCP/IP and
Database level I let it the same for the different platforms (Linux,
Windows). Depending on the platform (Windows/Linux) I insert specific source
code. For Windows I will include Regspy and parts of antinimda. In Regspy a
thread will be launched to get the registry. I will use this thread
mechanism in fshcron. N.B. There are not much open source cron
implementation in the Windows platform. That's the reason I port fcron
(Linux) to a Windows port.

I studied Visual Studio C a little bit, there are at least 3 different MVC
project types:

a)    makefile (for instance MySQL is a good example);
b)    Source with Windows API included;
c)    MFC programming.

A is simpler to port to Linux then b and c. C uses the standard Microsoft
classes. The executable will be bigger then b, but the programming will be
faster to realize.

I have created a file structure with different source code of programs. In
he file structure I will install Visual Studio too. My intention is to make
it sharable as "Anonymous" file type. I hope to make it available for other
developers by using Regspy and regmon tools.

The source code of programs (applications) should be compiled with cl.exe
(command language C compiler of Microsoft Visual Studio) by the nmake
command. The compiling should be initiated by fshcron in my vision.

Next week I will try to compile wget in a Windows environment according to
the instructions of http://xoomer.virgilio.it/hherold/

May be someone has better ideas, please let met know ---)

Greetings Jan Marco

Appendix Windows related Source code Applications.

1) Filemon and Regmon: http://www.sysinternals.com

Source of a filemon variant. Only one excutable multiappnt.exe is not open
source. Difference is that alfa file monitor don't give the offset (+ number
of bytes read) in "file read" back. Otherwize Alfa file monitor seems to
give more read status information then Filemon:
http://www.softdepia.com/alfa_file_monitor_with_drivers_source_code_download
_4145.html

I found some Filemon related source code:
http://www.codeproject.com/file/directorychangewatcher.asp

2) Regspy updated : http://www.installsite.org/files/iswi/RegSpy2.zip

It works by using the RegOverridePredefKey API, which is only available on
Windows 2000 and above.

This API overrides registry reads and writes, so if the program reads some
part of the registry and uses it to update something, it won't give you the
expected results in the substitute keys. So it's not very good for programs
that update the Perfmon keys, as an example.

It works well for programs that just dump their COM registration into the
registry, and the good part is that it won't affect your system because the
"real" HKCR entries never get created.

Regspy original : http://www.installsite.org/files/iswi/RegSpy.zip

3) MVC virus scanner variant:
http://www.codeguru.com/misc/antinimda.html