Re: [GNUnet-developers] speed of gnunet-download

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] speed of gnunet-download
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:48:12 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Marcos D. Marado Torres wrote:

> > # ./gnunet-download -o "aliensong.zip" --
> > Speed was    0.093 kilobyte per second.
> You can read at http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/faq.php3#speed the really reasons
> why GNUnet is slow...
> Either way, the transfer rates you're presenting are slower than expected...

The aliensong suggested for downloading in the FAQ is .mpeg, not .zip.
The consequence is that the .zip is very likely less well distributed
than the recommended file and thus slower to download, especially
if its located on some low-capability nodes only. I don't think we
have ever seen what really happens with gnunet when some content
is on say 20 nodes simultaneously (a typical real-life p2p situation),
unless every node operator has bothered to dl the .mpeg, which
I think unlikely.

Anyway, improving speed on bandwidth-limited nodes is on the
TODO-list, but apparently we are more interested in playing
around with the GUI. :(

"The Dissenter"

;)