Re: [GNUnet-developers] giFT-plugin

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] giFT-plugin
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:25:17 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Toni W Ruottu wrote:

> Have anyone considered writing a giFT plug-in for GNUnet.

Easiest way to do that would be to run gnunet daemon
separately and make the giFT plugin out of the
current gnunet client code by combining gnunet-download,
gnunet-search, gnunet-insert and gnunet-delete.

The slight downside of this approach is that giFT can't
then specifically control gnunet bandwidth or know
when another node is downloading something through gnunet.
But taking gnunetd along for modification is certainly
much more work.

One remaining problem is that such a plugin would have
to be constantly maintained as the gnunet protocol
(also the client-server part) may change from
version to another. In the best case the plugin would
be a part of the gnunet source tree.

The bottom line is that it can be done. If there is
anyone motivated in actually doing it is much less
certain.

> The only important feature giFT is still lacking is
> support for multiple users on one pc.

And serious plugins. It seems to me giFT is
lacking a couple of the more recent beasts.

ps. gift is also the name of the older "GNU Image
Finding Tool".

Igor