Re: [GNUnet-developers] more details

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] more details
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:22:54 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Ruslan Hristov wrote:

> I was looking through the GNUnet documentation, but I wasn't able to
> find how two nodes connect to each other. Is there a centralized server
> that is running and everybody has to register with it? Or is there an
> auto discovery mechanism, such as sending multicast packets? Or do I
> (the client) have to know the address of another client in order to
> connect to the GNUnet network?

You have to fetch contact information of one or more
nodes from somewhere outside GNUnet. gnunetd can do
this automatically if you provide it with url(s) to a
hostlist. Anyone can put up such a list by extracting
his own hosts/ directory.

After your node knows about some other nodes, it will
receive knowledge of other nodes by the so-called
HELO messages.

So, there is no central control. You need an entry
point (e.g. from a guy you trust) and the rest works
by sort-of an auto-discovery.

Igor