[GNUnet-developers] Re: Databases benchmark and problem (Igor Wronsky)

From: address@hidden
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Re: Databases benchmark and problem (Igor Wronsky)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:08:54 +0200

> I'd like to comment on your tests a little bit based on my
> previous experience. The main issue here imho is not of how
> long it takes to upload or download a 100mb file to/from an
> empty database, but rather how the database performs when
> its nearly full, as that's the state of operation that a
> long-term node will most likely spend all its time in.
>
> In the single database case (before buckets were used) I found
> out that gdbm become worse and worse as the database grew. It
> was fast to insert to an empty database, but when it started
> to fill up, it got almost geometrically slower. You should already
> be able to see this behaviour with 100 megs by just printing
> out how long it takes to insert first megabyte, second megabyte,
> etc. and perhaps do a gnuplot of the results and expect to see
> a rising curve.

I was going to analyse the upload/download results that I have logged during my
tests. But with your request, I'll restart my tests with a bigger file (let say
500Mb or 700 Mb) to view how the insertion is going on. About the download
part, It's difficult to have interresting logs (cause of the download fails, I
have to restart it several times to download the whole file) but I'll try.

Eric.